If you are participating in the slog or hike, here is how to prepare:
- Despite the heat, wear long sleeves and long pants. You should protect yourself from plants and insects. In addition, even on a warm day, standing in the water in the shade in windy weather can get chilly. Bring a light jacket.
- Wear a pair of good walking shoes and water shoes. You will switch back and forth from sneakers to water shoes. Do not wear sandals.
- Make sure your ankles are not exposed!! That is the favorite target of mosquitoes and right at poison ivy height.
- Bring a towel and a change of clothes and leave them in your car.
- Bring a reusable water bottle and a snack (energy bar and fruit are good). Bring several bottles of water and leave them in your car.
- Always wear sunscreen and have strong bug spray with you to use as needed. The mosquitoes can get quite bad.
- There is a possibility of encountering some wildlife (alligators, deer, snakes). You can always look, but never touch.
- You need to bring a lunch and snacks. Never start a hike without an energy bar or fruit.
- Please feel free to bring your phone, GoPro, or camera. Photos are not only allowed but highly encouraged. Please tag the Everglades National Park on Social Media.
- Remember that this is a hike through a complete natural terrain!! Dress appropriately!!!
EDITORS AND LAST UPDATE
John William Bailly 11 January 2022
COPYRIGHT © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED