If you participating in the hike, here is how to prepare:
- Despite the heat, wear long sleeves and long pants. You should protect yourself from plants and insects.
- Wear a pair of good walking shoes and water shoes. You will switch back and forth from sneakers to water shoes. Do not wear sandals.
- Make sure your ankles are not exposed!! That’s exactly the poison ivy height.
- Bring a change of clothes and leave it in your car.
- Bring a reusable water bottle and a snack (energy bar and fruit are good).
- Always wear sunscreen, and have strong bug spray with you to use as needed. The mosquitoes can get quite bad.
- There is a possibility of encountering some wildlife (crocodiles, snakes, coyotes). You can always look, but never touch.
- The Deering Estate allows visitors to bring food into the property. So pack a picnic , if you wish.
- Please feel free to bring your phone, GoPro or camera. Photos are not only allowed but encouraged. Please tag the Deering Estate on Social Media.
- Remember that this is a hike through a natural terrain!! Dress appropriately!!!
EDITORS AND LAST UPDATE
John William Bailly 16 November 2021
COPYRIGHT © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED